06 Apr How Can You Avoid Communication Breakdowns in the Office?
What is a Communication Breakdown?
Communication Breakdown is a situation where the communication taking place between two (or more) people is either inconceivable, wrongly comprehended or entirely absent.
It can be caused by any of the following situations between the two parties:
- Conflicting opinions or actions
- Unpleasant behavior
- Ignoring or avoiding each other
The workplace runs on communication! More so, it runs efficiently and profitably on good, impactful communication. However, more often than not, it is a hub for communication breakdowns to occur, be it between colleagues, departments or the hierarchy.
How can you avoid communication breakdowns in the office?
Implement the following strategies to prevent and avoid communication barriers in your workplace:
- Use a common language for communication between all parties to evade being ‘lost in translation’. Generally, the official company language should be used. It provides consistency in the message as well as in its perception.
- Remove distractions! Whether you’re communicating in person or via email, make sure you’re in a quiet environment (without any music, external noise, your colleagues even!) to decipher the message accurately and really listen to what the other party is trying to say.
- Do not burden each other with excessive information or data. Strategize the information according to its level of importance.
- Be direct and concise in your communication. Research suggests that while details are important, messages that are short and ‘to-the-point’ are comprehended more easily.
- Do not hesitate to ask questions and encourage others to do the same! Asking questions, no matter how trivial, eliminate doubts and misconceptions in an effective and quick manner.
Avoid communication breakdowns at your workplace now! Train your diverse workforce to proficiency in the official company language right here.